Vancouver is the land of yoga, organic food, green smoothies, local roasted coffee, urban gardens & kale galore! We like our physical activity outdoors and our food fresh, local and healthy (for the most part). In one of the world’s most active cities it is natural that there are some very good options for healthy meals around the city. Below is a list of some of my favourite.
- The Dish - This little unassuming place on Davie St is easy to walk past, but it's worth a stop. They have tasty homecooked menu items, my personal favourite is the rice and veggie bowl with chicken, topped with peanut sauce. So simple, healthy and seriously delicious.
- Heirloom – Delicious vegetarian restaurant at 1509 W 12th Ave (at the corner of Granville). I am not vegetarian, but their menu is so good and filling. I recommend going for brunch.
- Nuba Healthy fresh lebanese food at it's best. There are four locations around Vancouver (Gastown, Kits, Mt Pleasant & Yaletown). Their ingredients are organic and local (as much as possible).
- Tractor Healthy everyday foods such as soups, sandwiches, salads and stews. They go to great lengths to ensure each menu item is delicious while still being nutritious. They strive to use as much local and organic produce as possible. Located at 1903 W 4th Ave and downtown at 335 Burrard St.
- Field & Social - Carefully crafted salads using fresh local ingredients and seasonal inspiration. They are dedicated to making healthy food choices delicious and easy. Lots of vegan and gluten free options. Located at 415 Dunsmuir Street.
- Favourite healthy food truck – Culver City Salads. If not the only healthy food truck option out there, it certainly was the first. Delicious salads, comforting soups, amazing cookies and more. The best option here is their daily salad which is usually a mix of greens veggies, beans or legumes, topped with your choice of their homemade to-die-for dressing. All their food is vegan, but don’t let that deter you if you are a meat eater, the salads are amazingly delicious and so filling!
- Sushi – A staple in Vancouver. Sushi can be a really healthy food choice..depends on what you order. Sashimi and edamame makes for a great lunch, add in rolls and tempura and the calories can skyrocket. I can't possibly list just one sushi place, my favourite place depends on what neighbhoorhood I am in, but here are a few suggestions:
Samuri Sushi – 1108 Davie St, 5888 Cambie St, 6428 Fraser St.
Volcano Sushi – 1861 Commercial Drive, 1991 E Hastings St
Dragon Sushi – 614 W Broadway
What I missed? Comment below and let me know your favourite healthy place to eat in Vancouver.